MR ALBERT KUDJO NARH
MUNICIPAL URBAN ROADS ENGINEER
ESTABLISHMENT OF ROADS DEPARTMENT (RD) AT MMA LEVEL
The Roads Department (RD) is established at Metropolitan and Municipal Assemblies as per Second Schedule of the Local Governance Act 2016(Act 936). Strategic Overview of Roads Department The guiding principles for functioning of the Roads Department can be formulated as follows: VISION To attain efficient cost-effective and sustainable integrated urban transport system that is responsible to the need of the society MISSION To provide a cost-effective and sustainable integrated urban road transport system to ensure accessibility, safety and reliability for national development Objectives of the Establishment of Roads Department
- Efficiently Maintain the Local Road network in the MMAs
- Reduce the average travel time on the Local roads in each MMAs
- In collaboration with other departments, progressively reduce the walking and waiting for public transport in the Central Business Districts and low income communities in each MMA
- Ensure efficient traffic management systems and road safety
- Efficiently manage road transport infrastructure, coordinate and integrate the operations of different transport modes in order to effectively move people and goods in a safe, efficient and sustainable manner in the MMAs
- Develop and apply social, economic and environmental criteria for the selection of projects
- Progressively improve environmental conditions along roads in each MMA
- Collaborate with other institutions involved in education and enforcement to reduce the number and severity of road accidents in urban areas
- Progressively improve the proportion of road network in good condition in each MMA, especially in low income and newly developing communities.
- Collaborate with the regional Roads Department and other road Agencies in the Maintenance of the Arterial and Collector roads.